Friday, August 18, 2006

The war in Iraq...

Just got back from a quick trip - via C40 Chinook helicopter - to McGuire AFB in New Jersey. The purpose was to say goodbye to 70 Connecticut National Guard troops who boarded a plane this morning bound for Iraq. Needless to say, the war in Iraq is the focal point of this year's contenious US Senate battle - a "battle" being fought with words by people who don't have to put their lives on the line. And I'm NOT talking about just candidates. Some of the most vocal opinions are the ones being expressed by those supporting candidates.

I've been to many of these send-offs, not just the formal ones held here in the state before the troops head for the next duty assignment. I've been to Ft. Dix and Ft. Drum more than a dozen times. I make a habit to try and make the welcome home trips as well. I do it because it's a story - and lately it's been "the" story. But I also do it because I remember another war when there were no grand send-offs, and anything but a warm welcome home.

Some of the guys I saw today were ones that I first met in Bosnia nearly five years ago. This is the same unit that was serving as part of the International Peace Keeping Force there - protecting Muslims. They were there doing that when Sept. 11 happened.

I mention this because of all the opinions being offered about the war, and whether we should have gone there and whether we should stay there, I've never heard any of these kids - and you'll pardon my use of that word, but they are younger than I - never have any of these kids complained about going. And when they've come home, they come home proud of what they have accomplished.

There's been a few new posts added to this blog in the last couple of days, more than expressing a point of view on the war or cited it as an example in trying to make a point. At this point, I choose not to offer a comment to them. My morning was spent with young citizens of Connecticut who are the example, and don't need to make a point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home