Monday, August 14, 2006

setting the record straight...

Seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding regarding this blog which I would like to clarify once and for all.

A regular contributor...who goes by the screen name mccommas...wrote:

" I wonder if a blog like this is a good idea for a journalist. It seems that you are being sucked into the poltics Ray. If I were running your newspaper, I would never allow it."

First...this blog is not a personal blog. It was created by the Norwich Bulletin, and I have been asked by the paper to take this on as part of regular reporting - essentially an extension of my weekly column that appears in the Sunday Bulletin under the name Hackett on Politics.

As for being sucked into the politics of the bloggers - those who have made it a point to criticize and defame the incumbent in the US Senate race...I have no intentions of letting that happen. What they want to do is simple, and that is to use any means necessary to continue their agenda. That's their choice and I have always believed in allowing people the opportunity to voice their opinions. I may not agree with it, and may at times express that disagreement. But the baiting - I'm not interested. I have more important things to do.

When I started this, I said in that very first post that I would like to keep this open and not subjected to any moderating of other's posts or comments. If, however, that becomes problematic...then we'll do what we have to do.

I appreciate the kind words expressed by some regarding what we have done with this blog...and I hope to continue to improve on the course of the conversations that are held here in the future.

3 Comments:

Blogger mccommas said...

I thinks its a bad idea. You should be above the fray. Let the left and right fight it out. You do not need to ref.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Ray Hackett said...

I think I'm going to agree with you on this one. I do enjoy a good healthy debate and discussion on politics - but there is a point when it becomes self-defeating.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Bill Jenkins said...

One huge problem with anonymous blogs is people post insults and make nasty comments while they hide behind some made up screen name.

At least Mr. McCommas and I use our real names.

11:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home