Wednesday, August 16, 2006

This just in...

I just posted a news update on the Norwich Bulletin Web page, and thought I'd repeat here if anyone missed it. I learned today that it appears President George Bush will be coming to southeastern Connecticut next year to deliver the commencement address at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy in May. Official confirmation will not come until a week or so before the event.
The president traditionally visits each of the four military academies during his four year term. He was last at the CG Academy in 2002. He hasn't been back since his second term began, and the schedule would suggest it will be New London in 2007 - barring any unforeseen events.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ray Hackett said...

Let's see if I can answer that one more time. First, endorsements have never really impressed me very much because I - in many years of conversations with voters - have come to the conclusion that people choose who they vote for for their own reasons - and not because someone else made a grand stand in support of them. Personally, a next door neighbor is probably more influential than any well-known, or not so well-known politician.

And...as I've said in the past in response to one of your enteries here...I agree with you that if the "party" is going to mean anything, than the rules should have meaning. And if you want to be part of the party, then you should have some obligation to it and what it stands for. (We may disagree on the point that if someone isn't going to do that they should be drummed out. Personally, I think it demonstrates strength within an organization to have members who will not blindly follow, but willing to stand up and disagree. But that's me. And I'm not a member of the party, so that's easy for me to say. I only join to vote in primaries because I think voting is important.)

And as to your question about what other legislators are going to do? Pretty much all of them have said they are going to support the party's nominee. Others haven't said anything.

The bigger question is, what difference does it make? As you yourself noted, inside the voting booth, with the curtain closed, anyone can following their own beliefs. - irregardless of whether they proclaim anything else.

I must say, I do find this fascination over this issue much ado about nothing. But then again, like I said, I'm not a party guy so it doesn't really matter to me.And as a reporter, I don't think it matters very much to Joe and jane public either.

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home