Monday, August 14, 2006

back to what's going on....

Typically, when I take a vacation from the paper, I try to avoid the news and just relax. So this first day back in the office is pretty hectic as I now try and catch up on what's happened...and what is happening.

First up...Speaker of the State House of Representatives James Amann has called a press conference for 12:30 this afternoon in Hartford, at which it is expected he will formally support the re-election - independent re-election bid of U.S. Sen. Joseph Lieberman. Amann said months ago that he would not only support the senator in the primary, but afterwards as well no matter what the circumstances. So today's announcement should come as no surprise. Amann took a lot of heat from the bloggers backing Ned Lamont's campaign when he made those comments a few months ago.

The press conference is at 12:30 at the Capitol.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ray Hackett said...

Okay...first, trueblue...do you really find it necessary to phrase your thoughts in that manner. Don't get me wrong...I'm no prud, nor do I have any desire to be the morally police. But I'd appreciate it if in further discussion you tried to be a bit more considerate of others.

As to the issue that you and snorwich raise, what we have here is a rather strong difference of opinion. You are both of the belief that there are "rules" to being a Democrat - and Rule #1 is that any true Democrat must abide the wishes of the majority.

I'm not going to argue that point because one, it's your opinion and you are entitled to it - and it's not necessarily a bad rule.

However, I am going to suggest that there are some who believe - just as firmly as you believe - that being true to oneself is as important as the rules - and following one's own personal beliefs take a higher priority.

In one of my Sunday columns a month or so ago I had suggested that I found it to be a sad commentary that a politician who stands up for what he believes in, and willing to take criticism for sticking to his word, wasn't "good enough" to be a member of the club. I still believe that.

And yes, I know you both disagree with that.

I hope others might join in because I'm curious as to how they feel.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Ray Hackett said...

Here's an update since my last post on this subject. Two more Democrats, one local and one from neighboring New York, have thrown their support behind Lieberman's independent bid.

The Lieberman Campaign announced today that North Haven Town Committee Chairman Bernard McLoughlin and former New York City Council Speaker Peter Vallone Sr. are backing
Lieberman's independent candidacy. McLoughlin resignied his position as North Haven Town Chair so he could actively support the effort.

Vallone is returning a favor when Lieberman backed him in his unsuccessful gubernatorial bid in 1998.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Ray Hackett said...

And yet another item...in an effort to be balanced. Former North Carolina ,senator and 2004 vice presidential candidate, John Edwardswill reportedly be in New Haven on Thursday campaigning for the US Senate Democratic nominee Ned Lamont.

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home