Thursday, October 18, 2007

Canterbury....

Last night's debate went rather well, I thought.

I would put the crowd at close to 200. I didn't find that surprising considering I covered the election onElection Night two years ago when the line was still out the door and into the parking lot when polls were suppose to close at 8 p.m. The citizens of Canterbury take politics quite seriously. I think that's a good thing.

But even more importantly, as divisive as things have been in town over the past several years, the debate ran smoothly as those in the audience avoided letting their own feelings be known, and instead focused on what the three first selectman candidates were saying.

I thought all three candidates did a fine job of defining who they are, offering voters a clear opportunity to look at the individuals and determine which one of the three best represented their own views and feelings. I'm going to withhold any of my thoughts on who might have appeared stronger. I don't live in Canterbury, so my opinion shouldn't matter.

Besides, within a week or so, the Norwich Bulletin Editorial Board will sit and discuss all the local races and publicize our endorsements at the end of the month.

For those of you who might be interested, and couldn't attend last night's debate, the entire thing is on our Web site at www.norwichbulletin.com.

The next round of debates that we'll be hosting include Plainfield, Tuesday, 7-8 p.m. at Plainfield High School, the second Norwich City Council debate, Wednesday, 7-9:30 p.m. (longer only because there are 10 candidates) at the rose City Senior Center and the last one in Colchester on Monday, oct. 29, 7-8 p.m. at Bacon Academy.

1 Comments:

Blogger samadhi said...

Thank you for your positive blog on the debate in Canterbury. Goodness knows we've had enough division here to last a century, let alone a two year term in office!
I myself couldn't go due to illness and appreciate the ways in which I could view the debate.
Of all the candidates presenting their answers and solutions, one stood taller than the rest, but I wanted so much to hear the radio debate that followed.
But bias is a pervasive thing so perhaps it was best I missed it.
Thank you for your fair and strong reporting.

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home