Sunday, November 05, 2006

Still wanting it both ways...

U.S. Rep. Rob Simmons, R-2nd District, is still trying to have it both ways - saying one thing but then doing something just the opposite.

Last week at a debate in Enfield, Simmons was asked why he isn't supporting GOP Senate candidate Alan Schlesinger - to which he responded, "I AM supporting Alan Schlesinger."

But then on Saturday, the Simmons campaign launches a new radio ad pairing himself with US Sen. Joseph Lieberman, portraying the two of them as like-minded, independent moderates working together in contrast to the partisan pairing of Democratic nominee Ned Lamont and his own challenger, 2nd District Democratic candidate Joe Courtney.

It's not the first time in this campaign that Simmons has "claimed" that he is supporting Schlesinger, and then turned around and does everything he can to link himself to Lieberman - no doubt tryng to capture whatever coattails Lieberman has here in the 2nd District.

Classic politicking....listen to what I say, but don't look at what I'm doing.

2 Comments:

Blogger mccommas said...

Well for once I will agree with you but as an aspiring journalist myself, I have to tell you that you should be keeping your opinion to yourself.

I said before that this blog of yours was a very bad idea. A journalist either writes opinion or he writes news stories. You can’t do both and keep your credibility as an impartial observer. Even your opinion column is a bad idea.

There must be a solid wall between the opinion pages and the news. That wall has been reduced to rubble.

I understand that a newspaper has to compete with the New Media but throwing out time honored journalistic principals will not help the Bulletin compete.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Ray Hackett said...

You've brought this point up before, and here I agree with you. It is a very fine line - but like I said the last time, this was a decision made by those who I work for, not me. This now part of my job, and I do approach it with an eye on that line.

In this particular case, I wouldn't necessarily classify this as an opinion. It is an issue that has been discussed in the newspaper previously and a simply a matter of fact. Simmons claims publicly (more than once) that is backing Schlesinger in the Senate race, and then evokes Lieberman's name at every opportunity. Putting it in a political ad is taking even further.

But I do appreciate your comments on this point.

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home