Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Polling...

Tuesday was a crazy day - all out and no time to add anything here. So we'll try and add some items this morning because today isn't looking any saner.

The other night, just before dinner, my home phone rang. A young man on the other end of the line told me he was conducting a poll for the upcoming elections. (I didn't catch what organization he was working for.) He asked if I would mind answering some questions - assuring me it would only take a few minutes. I said sure.

First question was how likely was it that I would be voting Tuesday - extremely, very likely, probably or not a at all. I said extremely.

Second question...is there anyone in your household who works for an advertising company, media company, newspaper or political campaign. I said yes.

He said...thank you, have a nice night...and hung up. Just what I needed to hear - my opinion doesn't count.

Okay, new polls out today.

The Quinnipiac University Poll:
U.S. Sen. Joseph Lieberman holding a 12-point lead over Democratic nominee Ned Lamont, 49-37 - down from the 17-point lead in the last Q-poll with the shift coming from the unaffiliated ranks. GOP candidate Alan Schlesinger inching up to 8 points.

Republican Gov. M. Jodi Rell losing a bit of ground, but still holding a commanding lead with less than a week to go over Democratic challenger John DeStefano, 59-33.

The Day of New London/Journal Inquirer poll shows Democratic challenger Joseph Courtney holding a slim 1-percentage point lead over 2nd District Republican incumbent Rob Simmons, 48-47 with 11 percent undecided. Well within the margin of error to again classify this race as "up in the air."

Just a thought, but in the last poll, the number that jumps out at me is the undecided. With only six days remaining, and both candidates very well known, that's a high number of folks who haven't yet made a final decision. It suggests that voters are struggling with the idea that in order to make that change in the direction of the country - that poll indicates a vast majority want - that they'll have to start it here by changing their congressman. It suggests that is proving to be a difficult choice.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bill Jenkins said...

Actually Ray, I'm surprised the number of "I don't know nor do I care." people is that low. You could run a poll after election day and I'd bet the number of "undecided" would be at 11% or maybe even higher.

I disagree with the notion that these people are holding out for the last possible second because of some struggle within themselves, they just don't care.

Everyone I know has made up their mind already and they're just waiting for all the televisions ads and the robocalls to stop.

12:46 PM  
Blogger Ray Hackett said...

Here I might disagree Bill. Voters have been paying a lot closer attention to these races this year than any other time I've seen in the past. I think most people have made up their minds in many cases, but I still think there are a number of folks out there wrestling with the idea of who to vote for - especially in the 2nd Congressional District race.

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home