Friday, September 08, 2006

And one more to consider over the weekend...

I found it interesting that the press release issued today announcing the Senate approval of the Defense Appropriations Bill was a joint release from U.S. Sens. Christopher J. Dodd AND Joseph Lieberman. Dodd of course is officially on the record as supporting the Democratic nominee - Ned Lamont - in the Senate race, but still apparently able to work closely with his current colleague.

It's interesting in the current climate where there seems to be quite a bit of speculation as to what kind of reception would Lieberman receive in the Senate - by Democrats - if he succeeds in winning re-election under the Lieberman for Connecticut banner. (I included that just for you snorwich).

Bottom line, if the Democrats are to secure the six seats they need to gain control of the Senate, and Lieberman wins, they'll need him to maintain the majority. Plain and simple reality. So...I suspect that once the election is over, Democrats will welcome with open arms the winner of the US Senate race in Connecticut - no matter which Democrat it is.

2 Comments:

Blogger mccommas said...

Lincoln Chafee-type Republican? I wonder if we can nail down exactly what that means.

You mean someone who votes FOR tax increases, votes to keep partial birth abortion legal up to the 12 grade, votes AGAINST tax cuts, votes AGAINST the war, votes against his own party's nominee for President, votes AGAINST judges that will interpret the law as written instead of legislating from the bench, wants to outlaw Christmas Trees, doesn’t want to try and execute Osama bin Laden because that would be mean.....

That kind of Republican??????

Sorry. If that’s a Chafee-type Republican, we don’t want Joe Lieberman. You are stuck with him. We will take our chances with Allen Schlesinger and Steven Laffey.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Ray Hackett said...

Trueblue...on this point we disagree. I honestly believe that once the election is over, a lot of this is simply going to disappear. But neither of us have a crystal ball (or at least I don't), so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I will say this...if you are right, I will be greatly disappointed because that would not be the actions of the Joe Lieberman that I know.

As for snorwich...trust me. When it comes to being cynical...I think you got me beat.

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home