Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A feel good day

Barack Obama is a hard act to follow....even for himself.

I thought his inaugural address was very good, hitting the right notes with the right tone. I particularly enjoyed his theme of returning to the core values that made this country great and using those values to make this country great again. I think one of the problems he faces is that after every speech he delivers, the expectations for the next one rise substantially. I don't think ysterday's speech disappointed....but maybe it didn't quite make it up all the way to the expectation -- real or unreal as they might have been.

I was also impressed wth the crowds. I recalled to some here in the office that I was there for the dedication of the World War II memorial, when about half the mall was filled and large TV screens were needed for the overflow to watch the ceremonies. That was a tough day making you way through the crowds. I can't imagine what it was like yesterday, (but I should be getting some insight from my daughter, a sophomore at American University, who was there.)

As our editorial noted this morning...it's been a long time since the American spirit and pride was so brillantely on display as it was yesterday....and that was a nice feel good day.

3 Comments:

Blogger William Kenny said...

I heard someone, in a different context today, explain "you are not 'entitled' to tomorrow."

That is, all we have (each of us), is today and what we make of it.

I heard (or think I heard) in President Obama's remarks, a man who is keenly aware that we, as a nation, have been truly blessed possibly beyond what we have earned.

I heard a resolve in his voice that we all must learn to see ourselves as part of something greater than self to which we should always remain true and stop taking for granted that which we have and cease mooning and mourning over what we no longer possess.

Tuesday was a very good day for Democrats and democrats--with hard work, we will have more, many more, but they have to be earned.

2:42 PM  
Blogger mccommas said...

A Freudian slip Mr. Hackett?

“using those values to make this country great again..”

A country can’t be great with a Republican in the White House in your opinion?

President Obama has inherited a country that is great and has been great for a long time. I think one of the differences between liberals and conservatives nowadays is that a conservative’s love and pride of country isn’t conditional.

Hey, did you get the chance to ask Mrs. Obama if she was proud to be an American for the 2nd time in her adult life yestereday?

5:23 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

McCommas, this country is great whether we have a Democrat or a Republican in office. It's our greatest strength that we progress, accomodating the opinions of both parties, conservatives and liberals. This past administration, however, has been a low point in our history not because a conservative or a Republican was in office, but because the values on which our country was founded were undermined. I only pray that permanent damage hasn't been done.

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home