Tuesday, January 20, 2009

History being made today

I've been asked a lot over the last several weeks if I was going to Washington today for the inauguration. The answer is no. Not that I wouldn't mind being there and seeing history made, but it just doesn't work with the schedule. So I'm content today to watch it unfold on the TV...and wait for President Obama to make his first visit to southeastern Connecticut.

No one knows for sure yet when that will be....but he's coming -- they all do.

The president delivers the commencement address at each of the nation's four military academies once in his term. That means between this year and the next three, President Obama will deliver the commencement address at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy in New London.

It will mark the fifth president that I've seen there. I was there for both of Ronald Reagans visits, George Bush Sr., the two Clinton visits and the two by George W.

But today, all eyes are on Washington with the much anticipated (and highly-hyped) inauguration address to be delivered shortly after noon. Let me know what you thought of his speech.

2 Comments:

Blogger William Kenny said...

It's been said 'you camapign in poetry but you govern in prose.'

In that case, we are off to a good start, in my opinion, as President Obama's speech seemed to catch the right tone at every turn.
I was especially taken by this:

"In reaffirming the greatness of our nation, we understand that greatness is never a given.

It must be earned.

Our journey has never been one of shortcuts or settling for less.

It has not been the path for the faint-hearted — for those who prefer leisure over work, or seek only the pleasures of riches and fame.

Rather, it has been the risk-takers, the doers, the makers of things — some celebrated but more often men and women obscure in their labor, who have carried us up the long, rugged path towards prosperity and freedom."

The path stretches out before us--let us all begin, together, to make one another proud again.

2:12 PM  
Blogger mccommas said...

dweeb

Your are right about the “rugged path towards prosperity” if I am guessing Obama's tax plan right. Getting ahead in the next four years will indeed be tough if not impossible.

I will probably be called a racist for saying so but I think Obama's tan is no big deal. I am mystified by all the fuss. It is just pigment; isn’t it? There is something I am just not getting here. I was always taught to believe that skin color is not important one way

-- or the other.

What I do think is a big deal is all the questions that went unanswered in this campaign because the media never asked them. They were to busy fluffing Obama's pillows.

I did not watch the speech and I don't intend to. What is the point after all since this guy changes his positions like most people change their socks?

We will just have to wait and see. I really hope this guy isn’t as bad as Jimmy Carter.

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home